Anyone else frustrated with your face mask yet? "Maskne" is actually a thing now.
Here's a few tips to help keep your "maskne" under control:
1. Wash your face. I know it sounds obvious, but wearing a mask creates a hot humid environment right up on your face. And with summer here the heat and humidity are already increasing. Damp, warm conditions cause you to sweat more and can cause your skin to create more oil. Make sure you are cleaning your face every evening. If you're extra oily you may want to consider washing your face mid-day too. (Or try 302 Purity, it's a waterless cleanser. Think hand sanitizer but milder and for your face!)
2. Wash your mask. If you're wearing a cloth mask, wash it with your face cleanser. Many laundry detergents can leave a residue that may irritate your skin or increase breakouts. Have extra masks on hand so you can change them out for a clean one more often, even several times per day.
3. Try blotting. If you find you are extra oily, try blotting your skin often with blotting papers, or just a tissue will work too.
4. If you tend to have dry skin a face mask can actually soak up too much of the skin's oil, leaving your dryer or your face could become itchy and scaly and look similar to eczema. Make sure you are using a gentle face moisturizer before you put on your mask. When you're done mask-wearing for the day, wash your face and moisturize again.
5. Rethink your makeup. If you're wearing a mask a lot during the day, it may be time to put the heavy liquid makeup to the side. Try mineral powders, sheer tinted moisturizers or no makeup at all. A mask touching your face all day will lead to makeup getting ground into the skin and can clog pores.
6. Take a close look at your skincare products. Are you using what's right for you're skin type and condition? Choose products with few preservatives. Avoid artificial fragrances and perfumes in your skincare. Need help finding the right regimen? Email me, I'm happy to do a free consult.
7. Use a pore cleansing mask once a week. If you aren't already doing this, now is a great time to start. Head off pore clogging before it leads to a break out. I like 302 Skincare Treatment Mask or Blissoma Refine Clay Renewal Treatment. Both are clay based and deep cleansing, yet calming. If dryness is your problem instead of breakouts, try 302 Hydrating Mask (If you're super dry you can wear this one overnight) or Blissoma Lavish Loving Recovery Beta-Glucan Mask.
Need help with your skin? Whether its "maskne" or something else, feel free to reach out to me, I am here for you!
Stay safe friends!