You’ve seen them. Gemstone beauty rollers. They are pretty and intriguing, but what do you actually do with them?
These rollers are featured in many professional holistic spa treatments and there are even different gemstones to help foster different energies and moods. There are also many shapes and types of beauty rollers. I prefer the traditional double ended roller with a large roller on one end for the neck and face and a smaller roller on the other end for use around the eyes .
A gentle massage with the roller can help relax facial muscles, increase circulation in the skin, remove bags and dark circles from under the eyes, clear the sinuses, remove toxins from the body, improve skin elasticity, give you a mood boost, and help your products penetrate better into the skin. When used long term it can help delay the development of wrinkles and other signs of premature aging.
Gemstone rollers are particularly good for helping the lymph to move. Lymph is the colorless fluid that surrounds tissues and moves through the lymphatic vessels under the skin. It drains into lymph nodes which can get blocked. Lymph is not pumped by any mechanism, it simply moves by activity, therefore, stress and tense muscles can restrict its movement. Helping this lymph to drain will eliminate built up toxins in the tissues, resulting in a more toned, clearer, brighter appearance.
Here are some easy gemstone roller how-to’s that make a big impact:
Morning Gemstone Facial
1. Store your roller in the fridge overnight so that it can help to de-puff the face in the morning.
2. Cleanse the skin and apply your favorite face oil or hydrating serum.
3. Starting at the décolleté (chest area) and base of the neck, roll upwards. Do this 3-5 times.
4. Next do the jaws. Start from the jawline and roll up to the middle of the cheek.
5. Next work on the cheeks: Start from the middle of the chin and roll up to the ear. Do this on both sides of the face.
6. Next roll from the chin up over the lips up to the bottom of the nose.
7. Then roll from the bridge of the nose out towards the ear. Do that on both sides of the face.
8. Gently roll upwards under the eyes using the smaller roller. Do that on both sides.
9. Roll upward on the forehead, starting from the eyebrows and ending on the hairline.
10. Lastly roll from the middle of the forehead to the temples.
Repeat each area between 3 and 5 times. Remember always to roll upwards or outwards to drain the lymph. Never roll back and forth.
Pair it with a mask
Use your roller over your favorite facial mask. Masking regularly can provide the skin with many benefits. Rolling over the top of your mask can speed up and enhance those benefits, allow for more absorption of important ingredients, plus it feels fantastic! Gemstone rollers are also great when used over sheet masks!
The muscles that are hiding beneath your hair often get left out. Use your gemstone roller on your scalp to offer them relief and perk up your thoughts. Scalp rolling has even been known to stimulate hair growth and strengthen follicles. If you experience tension headaches or migraines, using a jade roller straight out of the refrigerator to massage these areas can offer much-needed reprieve.
Roll with it at work
Take a break from your computer screen with a few minutes of face rolling. Gemstones stay cool at room temperatures and a cool, smoothing face roll will both energize and calm you. Roll your scalp to help with mental blocks. Try rolling your hands and arms to relieve the muscle tightness from typing.
I think my favorite thing about gemstone rollers is they are what we like to call “product-neutral”. You can use them in combination with almost any type of skincare product and they are also great when just used on their own. Be sure to clean your roller regularly with a non-irritating disinfectant. Most rollers come with instructions for cleaning. I wash mine with mild soap and allow it to dry completely. I hope you’ll incorporate this beneficial tool into your skincare regimen. If you do, feel free to reach out, I’d love to hear about your gemstone roller experience!